Hańczowa is a large village between Uście Gorlickie and Wysowa. As most of the villages in the area, it used to be inhabited by Lemkos.
The old, wooden church is located in the village center. It is the church of the Protection of the Blessed Virgin Mary (in eastern tradition it is called Pokrov).
The oldest part of the church is its tower, built in the 18th century. The remaining parts of the building were constructed in 19th century.
After the Vistula operation and the displacements of people the church was being used as a Roman catholic parish. As its condition was very bad, in 1956 there was the decision to demolish it. Fortunately at this time some Lemko families came back to their homeland and were pushing to obtain and restore the building. In 1958 The orthodox parish had been re-established in Hańczowa.
In the interior there is a polychrome from the 19th century. The nave and sanctuary are separated by the complete iconostasis – wall of icons and religious paintings, created by Antoni Bogdański and his sons: Michał and Zygmunt. They were the members of famous artists family, coming from Jaśliska (the little town in the South-Eatsern Poland), painting the icons in the whole Galicia area.